The Associated Press
Friday, July 15, 2011 | 3:17 p.m.
A Haitian official says the government has started moving families out of a stadium parking lot where they have lived since last year’s earthquake.
Presidential adviser Pierre-Richard Duplan says the government is paying families $250 each to move from the National Stadium parking lot. The government wants the lot available for stadium events.
Some of the 30 families leaving Friday complain that an alternate site set up by the government isn’t ready and they have nowhere to go. About 400 families have been living in the lot, and Duplan says it will take several days to move them.
Haiti’s government is trying to clear several major camps across the devastated region. An estimated 634,000 people live in 1,000 settlement camps.