Haiti remembers victims of big quake 4 years ago

By TRENTON DANIEL, Associated Press

….Martelly said much had been accomplished since the disaster.

“Four years later, I think we have moved forward tremendously,” Martelly told The Associated Press, noting a decline in the number of people still without housing and the number of hotels being built. “Of course, a lot remains to be done.”

The 7.0-magnitude earthquake struck outside Haiti’s capital on Jan. 12, 2010, and thousands of buildings toppled in Port-au-Prince and surrounding cities. Officials say more than 300,000 died, but no one knows for certain how many people lost their lives.

Almost all the rubble in the capital has finally been carted off and many of the tent encampments are less visible, replaced by construction sites.

Still, the reconstruction effort has been piecemeal, with promised aid money slow to come because of worries about Haiti’s political infighting and corruption as well as the reluctance of donors to provide funds amid the global economic downturn.

The foundation of former President Bill Clinton, the onetime U.N. special envoy to Haiti, sought to cast the day in a positive light.

“As we remember this solemn anniversary, we also recognize that Haiti has the opportunity for a bright and prosperous future, one that its people and children deeply deserve,” it said in a statement.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

About fromourisland

Gardener, knitter, wife, mother of 2, grandmother, and lots more.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s